Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Groom, Beach Ceremony, Reception Lighting tricks!

This is Brian the Best Man & Greg the Groom. You don't need me to tell you they are brothers, do you?! I just absolutely love this shot of them. They are so adorable, aren't they?

I'm a sucker for camera tricks, so I thought it was hilarious when Greg (or was it Brian) says, "Oh! We should do 'big head, little head'!"

As guests arrived on the beach for the ceremony, the sea breeze danced by and made the California sunshine comfortable...acoustic guitar filled the air...

A union was made official. . .

I am convinced that this image wouldn't be half as good if the little boy's foot wasn't trailing off like it is...reminds me of a Norman Rockwell moment!

Recipe for Great Group Shots:

1. Spread the word! Let EVERYONE know ahead of time, several times, that they will be needed for a group shot.

2. Let them know exactly WHEN and WHERE.

3. Take several shots but not too many. I never take more than 5.

4. Show your enthusiasm and appreciation for their participation!

I've learned to embrace wind, whether it's during formals or a senior photoshoot...Predictable? No. If you respect it and work with it, it can be so dreamy. . .this is Monica's favorite shot.

But this is one of my faves. . .

And I love the tropical feel of this one. Palm trees!!

Just this summer, I began shooting receptions with an external flash mounted on a stand with an umbrella. Add a remote trigger and voila! Dramatic lighting that you just can't get if you are using the flash on your camera. . . .


Here we have it in color which is just as striking...



I'm so lucky to have had the opportunity to photograph such a wonderful group of people. Monica and Greg are truly meant to be together. They are so thoughtful. . .so tender. . . so funny. . .There are so many other awesome moments from Greg & Monica's wedding. . .to see their entire wedding slideshow, click here!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I LOVE the dancing photos...I love the lines and angles you captured! Beautiful, Julie!

Amanda Mays said...

Great stuff julie! Love that group shot, those are hard and yours looks great! Thanks for the lighting tips I'm definitely gonna be getting some lighting equipment soon! Maybe I'll try your trick first and save a little $$ ;)