Wednesday, June 25, 2008

My Mom In Her Wedding Dress & Father's Day!

Father's Day was extra busy this year! I feel like I should share all the ways my husband is an amazing father, but June 15 was also my parents' 40th wedding anniversary! My mom asked for a photoshoot and I was thrilled to oblige...


They went to a studio before the wedding day to get these formals. Isn't it funny how things evolve over time? Are you ready for this? My dad is standing on a block because my mom is 6' but dad only 5'10''! Can you believe they did that back then?

This was a difficult shot to duplicate because, #1, I don't have a set remotely close to what they had for their wedding picture and #2, she wanted their heads and posture as close as possible to the original, but after minutes of "no mom, turn your head EVEN more" it became apparent that we just weren't going to get it PERFECTLY identical...

But I love this shot of them...my dad is an awesome dad and is a doting grandpa to his 3 grandchildren...he didn't mind at all dressing up for our shoot on Father's Day!

How could I resist doing "my thing" once I finished all the shots that SHE wanted?! I didn't, and we got this beautiful "swoosh" shot.

And mom made a cake and used the cake topper from my wedding 10 years ago (I didn't even know she kept it) to recreate a little cake cutting!

And again, I couldn't resist posing my mom on my red chaise...

It was fun to have them in the studio and mom had a great time in her dress again. Shoot, maybe I should do a trash the dress for my 10 year anniversary in October, except that I had it preserved and it would be a shame to break it out of it's bubble...to find out it doesn't fit! lol

5 comments:

bloggin' Chrystal said...

I visit your blog often but I must admit...this shoot with your mother and father was one of the best posts I've ever seen! What an opportunity and what an inspiration to couples everywhere. YOU must be one of the proudest daughters ever! Congrats on having such a beautiful bride and groom so close to you...!

Amanda Mays said...

Oh Julie these pictures are so precious! Did you shed at least a few tears?

Your mom in that dress again 40 years later = AMAZING!!! What an awesome testament of love!

I know you had to cry when she busted out that cake topper. The red chaise...I LOVE it!

Alyssa Andrew Photography said...

Adorable and what a cool idea! You look like her :)

Anonymous said...

Has any of the family seen this? I will be forwarding it on to Aunt Sis. They look so adorable! Your mom sent me your link, I guess to torture me that I don't have a cousin who has the talent to take these wedding pictures....oh wait.... I do......are you sure St. Louis isn't in your plans next month??????

Julie Watts said...

Lol Oh I SO would have done your wedding in St. Louis if another lucky couple didn't beat you to it! Argh...when somebody comes up with a way to be in two places at once, let me know...I'll totally sign up :)